Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It's Official

I am officially retired............again.  I turned in my resignation at the tanning salon yesterday and am so happy with my decision.

Two years ago this month I was diagnosed with cancer, 4 days later I was in surgery for a biopsy to decided if it was kidney cancer or bladder cancer, 3 days later I knew it transitional cell carcinoma - bladder cancer and I was in surgery having my kidney removed.  That was the start of two long years. 

After the kidney removal and subsequent bladder tumor removals, I was fatigued and depressed and I needed a reason to get up, get dressed and get out of the house, so I went back to work at the tanning salon.  It really helped me mentally, allowed me to talk to people and interact even when I wasn't feeling up to it.  I'd put my big girl panties on and a smile on my face and it got me through a rough time.

I've worked through all those tumor removal surgeries and through having chemo every 3 months as well.  I've worked through the pain of arthritis in my lower back, shoulders and hands.  But at this point, I'm ready to move on.  My arthritis is telling me that it is a job for a younger person who doesn't yet have the issues I have.

I'm in a much better place now and ready to try something new if it comes along and if not, that's okay too.  I don't need a reason to get up and get dressed, I just want to now.  My checkup and chemo is now every 6 months and I feel like the beast is under control.  I'm ready to get out and live life, and I'm excited about the possibilities.

Been working on my red and white floating star quilt and will hopefully have something to share with you all soon.

Until then..............

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

4 comments:

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Good for you! I retired 2 years ago this coming summer. It was about 9 months after I was diagnosed with the pancreatic cysts. I was barely getting by mentally at work and the job was becoming more stressful and I left with the idea that if something came along I would do it. What I ended up doing which helped the depression I was having at the time was volunteer in my town. I work every week at my food pantry and I love it. So enjoy this mental and physical freedom and enjoy life!

Jennifer said...

Good for you, Tammy! I know you have been dissatisfied with aspects of your job for some time.....and now it's time for "Tammy time"!

Lady of the Cloth said...

Good for you, enjoy every minute of retirement. Don't forget that you don't have to be DOING things all the time. Power lounging is essential. Make it a good day.

Candace said...

Happy re-retirement, Tammy! You seem to be a gal who knows what's best for you and that's wonderful! Think of how much more time you'll have now to quilt, fly fish and enjoy life!
Cheers!