Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Surprise in the Mail

Today I received a surprise package in the mail.  It was from my Sister-In-Law Leah who lives in Olympia, WA.  She had a big garage sale this weekend and one of her friends brought some things over to put in the sale.  It just so happens one of the things the friend brought was a hand pieced/sewn quilt top made by her Grandmother.  So Leah sent it to me to see if I'd like to do something with it and if not find someone who might like it.  Well I was so thrilled and excited about it, I took pictures to share with y'all.  I figure I'll get some repro fabric to back and bind it.  The big question in my mind is how to quilt it?  My arthritis won't allow me to hand quilt it, so if you have any ideas, please let me know.  Could you/would you hand tie it perhaps??  Here is the quilt and a few close ups on some of the blocks:

 





 
Aren't they colorful and bright.  The off white fabric I believe is muslin.

I also got busy today and made a batch of Bobby Deen's Lighter Blueberry Muffins.  They are 168 calories per muffin (70 fewer calories and 4 grams less fat) and a little bit healthier than his Mommas (Paula Deen) original recipe.  I used the organic blueberries I picked last summer and froze.  It's almost time to pick again and I can't wait.  The muffins, according to CR, are DELICIOUS!!


I also got myself a new Starbucks mug for cold drinks.  I fill this puppy up several times a day with water/sparkling water and flavor it with MIO's, or Propel, or Crystal light.  I pretty much drink water and coffee and that is it, no pop or juice for this girl.

 
It came with the flat lid and then a domed lid for those fattening drinks they put a ton of whipping cream on top of.  I don't do those drinks.  If I order a latte, it's iced, sugar free vanilla, no frills, but I like it.
Still cutting strips from my scraps, ugh, I'm getting so tired of it, but in the end it will be worth my time.  Anyone know of a free pattern/tutorial, or a pattern a person can buy for a Churn Dash Quilt.  I saw a picture somewhere of one that looked really scrappy and thought it was so cool looking.

The weather has turned chilly and windy and rainy here.  Just a couple of weeks ago it was 90 degrees.  Mother nature must be bi-polar, I just can't keep up with the big temperature swings.

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful quilt! Not sure about quilting it, but perhaps something in the spaces between the plates to break up all the white/cream?