Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chilled Cookie Dough

I've read several articles lately about the benefits of chilling your cookie dough before baking and also using cold butter, rather than room temp. butter.  Here is an excerpt from an article I read and copied to save for myself a few days ago:

{If you put a warm, melty dough into the oven, your cookies will spread before they begin to set up. Too often they'll run into one another, becoming a single crisp, crunchy mess on your cookie sheet. The cooler the dough when it goes into the oven, the less it will spread.  Another reason that cookie dough is refrigerated is that it gives the gluten time to relax. You don't want to mix a cookie dough containing wheat flour any more than absolutely necessary, as the more you mix it, the more gluten develops, and the more rubbery your cookies will be. Letting the dough rest in the refrigerator for at least half an hour does wonders for relaxing the gluten and letting you produce cookies that are soft or crunchy (depending on your preference), but not tough and rubbery.  Finally, letting the dough rest in the refrigerator also gives the flour more time to absorb the liquid more fully. This allows the dough to become drier and firmer, which produces a better consistency in the finished cookie.}
So today, because we woke up to torrential rain, lightening and thunder, it seemed like a good day to bake and test this theory out.  Hands down my cookies came out chewy, but not flat and more uniform than they've ever been.  I was thrilled with the results and will use this method from now on.
No only did I make my Grandma's Chocolate Chip cookie's, I also made a recipe I saw on Pioneer Woman's show on the Food Network - Chocolate Chocolate White Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I used the chill method for these as well.  I have to tell you I thought it would be to much chocolate, but oh baby, they are really good.
I made all of these as we are going to be doing some traveling in the near future and so they'll go on our trips for something yummy in the evenings.  For now they are in the freezer and out of sight!!

Blueberry picking has started, so yesterday we picked almost 14 pounds and I got those washed, dried and in the freezer.  More picking to follow so we have plenty in the freezer to last us for the next year.  CR eats them every morning in his oatmeal and I do some baking with them, so we have to put up a lot to have on hand.  These are organic berries and if you pick them it's $3.00 a pound, I don't think that is to bad for the quality of the berry.  This years berries are so sweet!!

Tomorrow should be much better weather, so back to berry picking we'll go.  I'm hoping to get back to my sewing room and do some cutting for a new quilt.

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam
 

2 comments:

Candace said...

I'll tell you those cookies wouldn't last very long in our house, Tammy! Wow, do they look good! I've only tried that method once and darned near broke my hand trying to scoop the dough out! Now I just put the unscooped bowl in the fridge between baking batches and don't seem to have any problems! Happy blueberry picking - I just heard it's going to be in the triple digits soon!
Cheers!

Jennifer said...

Yummy cookies! Chilling the dough also works for pastry if you are making pies, too.