Saturday, June 1, 2013

Home Improvements Are Done Until Fall

Yep, the home improving is done till we tackle the last room this fall.  The last thing that had to be finished was the ceiling in our family room.  While it sounds easy enough, the ceiling has these swirled texture groves in it from the 1940's when the house was built that are a pain in the you know what to get painted and covered well.  Especially when your goal is to only do one coat of paint.  I did the trim against the wall so that CR could roll the rest of it.  Then he'd do a section and I'd check it for any place lacking paint or enough paint.  What a job - someone is going to be sore tomorrow.  And someone else has a lot of dusting and cleaning to do now that all this painting and tearing the house apart is done.  There are times when I wish I could hire a maid service - ever feel that way??

Can't really tell much, but it's a beautiful Linen color - just a tad off from white.
In between checking the ceiling as CR was painting I completed sewing all my blocks together for the lap quilt I've been making.  I laid it out on the bed so I could show you how it's going to look - I still need to sew all those rows together, perhaps tomorrow if I have time after cleaning - okay maybe next weekend, I have a lot of cleaning to do!!



Also while CR was painting I made a pasta salad recipe I saw on the internet.  I can't tell you where I found it, but it looked so good:


And let me assure you CR has taste tested and approved it.

Here is the recipe if you're interested:

Easy Italian Pasta and Veggie Salad Recipe

- 8 oz pasta
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can black olives
- 1 can marinated artichoke hearts (I chopped them up for the salad)
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/8 cup garlic olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste

Step 1:  cook pasta according to directions on the box.  When cooked rinse with cold water and let cool

Step 2:  While pasta is cooling, chop tomatoes and artichokes and basil

Step 3:  Combine all ingredients into a large bowl

Step 4:  Mix the mayo, oil, Italian seasoning, dill, salt and pepper for the dressing and mix with the rest of the salad.  Refrigerate until it's time to serve. 

I'll be serving the salad with come Copper River Salmon.  The best salmon out there if you ask me and only available for a short time.  We neither one are fond of frozen salmon, so you get it fresh and eat all you can while it lasts.

We went to Farmers Market this morning and I got fresh spinach, Walla Walla sweet salad onions, fresh strawberries and asparagus.  Oh how I love this time of year and going to farmers market.  Pretty soon it will be blueberry picking time and I can't wait for that, but I don't want to wish my summer away, so one thing at a time.

How's your weekend and do you go to a local farmers market??

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love those patterned ceilings, but they do make for a lot of work! Still, that's all done now. Your quilt is very pretty - great colour combo.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Thank you Tammy for your kindness and your comment concerning the recent sad loss of my wife.