Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Day on an Old Road

Last Sunday at this time we were just taking it easy for the day.  I was very tired and not feeling well, so I knew I had to back off for a day of rest.  Damn cancer still sucker punches me and makes me tired at times.  So we spent the day at the 5th wheel just resting and reading, it was very nice actually.

Then on Monday it was time to get going again.  I have always wanted to drive the Historic Columbia River Highway (Highway 30).  Building on this stretch of road began in 1913, let me tell you the cars were a lot smaller then and the road is not one you'd take in a big old truck, but luckily we had our Camry along this time so we could take the drive and maneuver around Portland, etc.

The highway is a marvel for it's time and so beautiful.  It was built with no more than a 5% grade and there are many gorgeous waterfalls to be seen or to be hiked to.  We took the portion of the highway from Corbett to Ainsworth State Park.  We started our adventure going through the gorgeous little town of Troutdale Oregon.  Just outside of Troutdale is a fabulous restaurant called Shirley's Tippy Canoe.  It is the best place to eat and we had the crab eggs benedict.  I can still taste it now it was that good - even the English muffin was homemade.  Tippy Canoe had just been visited by Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives and should be on an upcoming show.  I can't wait to see it.  Since it was a Monday Morning there weren't many people there so we got to talk to Shirley and she is a wonderful person, full of life and loves her customers!!  Oh and you get huge mugs of really good coffee too!!

So here are some pictures from our grand adventure, hope you enjoy them!!

Outside of Shirley's Tippy Canoe
 
Old Indian Carving in a canoe at Shirley's

Beautiful view of the Sandy River from Shirley's

She also had a huge patio area to dine at - it was gorgeous
 
Views from the Crown Point Over look - that is the Columbia River

From Crown Point

From Crown Point

From Crown Point

Also from Crown Point - I don't know if this is a private house or
what hidden in the hills - looks interesting though!!

One more shot from Crown Point - this are is considered the
Columbia River Gorge Scenic area
 
Vista House - I've seen it from Highway 84 Driving into Portland and
always wondered what it was, well I finally got to find out

 

Views from Vista House

From Vista House

From Vista House

From Vista House

From Vista House

From Vista House

From Vista House
 
Taking the Bridal Veil Falls Hike - Did I mention that there
are 7 waterfalls on this stretch of the Highway

Lower part of the falls

Part of the falls

Ah, the gorgeous falls

 

 

 
Let me tell you that most of the waterfalls can be scene from the road, but Bridal Veil is a 2/3 mile hike to see the falls and it's a steep hike for sure.  Down hill all the way to see it, which I found to be hard on my knees and then up hill to get to the car.  Not a hike for people with knee and hip problems for sure.  It is well worth the hike to see the falls as they are stunning - just don't be stupid like me and do that kind of hike in flip flops, ugh, that was just not a good idea!!

Although it was a hot day, you're driving through a canopy of trees and shade, and the views are breathtaking.  Hope I didn't overload you with pictures.  I have a lot more, but I tried to scale it back so I didn't put you to sleep!!

I did find a couple of videos to do English Paper Piecing Hexagons, but would still love to hear from any of you who know of places to visit, videos to view so I can learn more.

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What beautiful scenery, wish I could be there too! Sorry I can't help with the hexagon tutorial, I haven't succumbed to them although several friends have.

Candace said...

We did the drive a couple of years ago - just wonderful!
Cheers!