Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Having a Heat Wave

Makes me want to break out in song - "We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave".  Ugh, if we were in the tropics, by the beach or a pool, perhaps I wouldn't mind it as much.  But we're at home and it's to darn hot out there.  You walk outside and it's like putting your body in an oven on broil, or at least that's how I feel.  Currently at our house the temp is reading 104.  We have had hotter days for sure, but usually we get a build up to the heat.  Just last week it was raining and not even 70 degrees and we were picking blueberries - glad we have them all picked cuz I wouldn't pick in this heat.  Yep, I'm a wimp.

I've started on a new quilt top.  I've got it cut out and now I need to get sewing.  Here's the one little issue, there were some blocks that needed to be 12&1/2 by 6&1/2 and you know the saying read it twice, cut it once.  Well I read it more than twice and still cut it at 12 inches rather than 12&1/2.  Good Grief!!  Sadly this fabric and pattern date back to 2006 and there's no more to be had I'm sure.  I've decided rather than take my scant 1/4 inch on my blocks I'd do a full quarter inch and since the fabric that is 1/2 inch off is the sashing, well I'll take a scant 1/4 inch and see if I can work it out that way.  If you have any suggestions for me - please let me know.  I think the heat got to me yesterday and my brain wasn't computing what I was reading. 

Even the cats, who like the sun and heat seem like the heat is making them miserable.  Mind you we have central air, so it's not hot in the house, but I swear you still feel the heat.  Scotchie was really feeling it yesterday as he was napping in my sewing room.



My sewing room is on a south facing wall and I think it feels hotter in there than it should.  I keep the blinds almost all the way down, just open about 5 inches so the boys can look out.  I always have my fan running in the summer to keep the air in there moving, it seems to make me feel better.

Thankfully it's summer time so we can grill outside and have cool salads with a steak, or chicken, or fish.  There is no way I'm turning that oven on at the moment.  That said we're supposed to be in the high 80's by the end of the week, so more normal temps are on the way.

I had my 6 month eye check today, I have high pressure in my eyes, especially my left eye and with glaucoma running in my fathers side of the family they keep a close "eye" on the pressure.  Someday I'll have to use drops for it, but not just yet.  I don't want to lose my eyesight so I'm grateful for a fantastic eye doctor who is really on top of this issue for me.

CR has been working outside on sprinklers and adding to areas that just weren't getting enough water.  I worry about him in the heat, but he's good at pacing himself and drinking lots of water and taking breaks.  He's not one to just sit still, so as long as he's careful, I'm good with that.

So how the weather - are you under a heat advisory like us or is it much more pleasant where you are??

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I live inside in summer and instead spend most of my outdoor time during the winter. We have high humidity in summer and it is miserable - it will literally take your breath away.

Candace said...

Since we're nearly neighbors, I feel your pain, Tammy! We get up really early and get everything done by 10 or 11. Sorry about your quilt! I admit to having done that more than once. I'm afraid you won't be able to make up the difference with just a scant 1/4. What I would do is just cut down everything else based on your initial error if you think that would work. Good luck! Our girls are being lazy as well - although Sasha begs to go out for even just a minute or two then is happy to run back in!
Cheers!

Jennifer said...

Oh, you poor things.....that heat must be horrible! What part of the border did you cut too small? I did that once with outer borders, and was able to ease them on.