Monday, July 29, 2013

Hummingbirds and Peach Pie

Sunday was a lazy day for this old girl.  I didn't take a shower till around 2pm and with the exception of laundry and making CR brunch and baking a pie for tonight, well I just didn't do much.  Kinda sad isn't it.  Oh well I find a lazy day once in a while is always good for a person.

CR was busy as usual, he's a putz around kinda guy even when it's hot out.  If it makes him happy then it's all good.  One of the things he did on Sunday was hang the hummingbird he bought me when we were at the Pittock Mansion in Portland recently.  It's hanging in my kitchen window and it looks beautiful.

 
 

On Saturday I bought peaches at the Farmers Market to bake CR a Sour Cream Peach Pie.  I originally tried this when I was in North Carolina last September and it was so delicious that I had to find a recipe and make one for the hubs.  You can make it with fresh, frozen or canned fruit.


I'd never heard of this kind of pie before, you can also use apples.  I love it best with peaches though and so does CR.

Here's the recipe if you're interested:

Sour Cream Peach Pie:

Topping -
3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour

Filling -
1 & 1/3 cup sour cream
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons flour
6 to 8 peaches, peeled and sliced

Use a pre-made crust or buy a Pillsbury pre-made crust, or make your own to fit a deep 9 to 10 inch pie plate

To make the topping, in a bowl blend the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and flour until the mixture is combined well.  Cover and chill the topping.

To make the filling, whisk together the sour cream, sugar, vanilla, eggs and flour until the mixture is smooth.  Add the sliced peaches and stir the filling and peaches together.

Spoon the filling into the chilled shell and crumble the topping evenly over it.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 hour 15 minutes.  If the top starts to burn then cover with foil.

I'd love to hear if you make the pie - let me know how it turns out and if you like it.

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

3 comments:

Candace said...

Lazy days are the best! Pretty hummingbird and even prettier pie - YUM!
Cheers!

Jennifer said...

I agree, everyone needs a lazy day from time to time......it does you good! Your kitchen window is very pretty with your birds. The pie looks yummy, and I bet it tasted as good as it looks!

Lady of the Cloth said...

Ooh, I AM GONNA MAKE ONE. I have been thinking about peach pie for about a week.