Saturday, July 20, 2013

Slappy Cakes and Saturday Market

Just a week ago today we were meeting our friends R & G at Slappy Cakes.  It's the neatest little breakfast spot where each table had a griddle and you make your own cakes.  Robyn and I made some cakes and also split the Slappy Eggs Benedict.   You can get anything and everything you can think of for your cakes - bacon, blueberries, coconut, lavender honey, etc.  It was so much fun and the food was fantastic - I highly recommend it if you're in the Portland area.  Oh and they have great coffee too!!

After filling up on a fantastic breakfast we were off to the Portland Saturday Market under the Burnside bridge.  Wow has it changed since we were last there.  Portland has done a fabulous job of revitalizing the area and fixing it up and making it safe.  It was very crowded, so I didn't take my camera and get pictures.  Crowds and I don't go hand in hand, but I really wanted to see the market again, so I put my big girl panties on and went for it.

Here are some things we purchased and something we purchased at Pittock Mansion:

This beautiful hummingbird came from the Pittock Mansion gift shop.  I have a bunch of hummers
hanging in my kitchen window and he will join them to catch the morning sun!!
 
Cliff found a couple of great hats with good ventilation and I found this totally cool "hippy purse"
It's cross body and has a pocket in the handle for your cell phone or money. 
 
We also found this gorgeous wine cork.
Last Saturday was hot in Portland and by the time we got done we were all tuckered out and ready to just rest and relax at our own homes.

Today we went to breakfast with our friend Ken and he brought us fresh tomatoes from his garden - oh how I love fresh tomatoes!!


After breakfast we went to Farmers Market and got fresh peaches and blueberries, raspberries, marionberries (like a blackberry) and cantaloupe.  I love this time of year for the fresh produce.  I should have bought corn, but darn stuff doesn't set well on my stomach, so unless Cliff says he wants some, I ignore it.



This last May, R&G went to Italy for fun and he to ride bikes - the motorized kind, in the mountains.  one of their stops was Venice Italy to visit the Murano Glass blowers.  They brought home some beautiful vases and were so sweet to bring us a beautiful wine bottle stopper:


It is all hand blown glass on top.  Their pieces are amazing and when the catch the light just right, mercy, so gorgeous!!

I'm going to try my hand at some English Paper Piecing Hexagons.  Anyone know of some good you tube tutorials??

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Your fruit looks so yummy! Love that hummingbird, it's very sweet.....and the Murano glass pieces too. Our son visited Murano a few years ago and brought back a wine bottle stopper and small blue dish with coloured sides.