Saturday, August 24, 2013

Off to Spokane

After our time in Twisp we headed for Spokane and a few doctor appointments.  We arrived on a Tuesday and Wednesday morning we were up bright and early for lab work and my Mammogram.  My friend Jennifer at Bronze Wombat was telling about her experience and not even having a changing room, etc before her Mammo and I was appalled.  I have to say the place I go is so nice.  The mammo area is tucked in a corner, so if you aren't having a mammo, you can't even see down that hallway.  You're taken to a room, given a nice thick cotton robe to put on after you take the top half off.  Then here is a nice waiting room and they come get you, take you across the hall to do what needs to be done (which is never pleasant) and off you go.

After my Mammo, we went to pick up our Grandson Ben and headed out the to the Green Bluff Growers - an association of small family farms and farm stands formed in 1902.  This association  includes picking your own fruit and veggies, a winery, a Christmas tree farm, festivals, etc.  It's located 15 miles north of Spokane and nestled in the foothills of Mt. Spokane - let me tell you the views are breathtaking. 

We headed up to the Greenbluffs area with a late breakfast in mind and we went to Walters Farm to enjoy huckleberry pancakes that were soooooooooooo delish!!  CR had a homemade biscuit breakfast sandwich.  After stuffing ourselves it was time to pick peaches.  So we headed out on a seated trailer pulled by an old tractor:

Walters Fruit Ranch

Our Tractor awaits



We stopped here in the middle of the orchard for directions and picking

Look at how loaded the trees were


That's Ben and Grandpa going in for some picking
 Yep we had big picking plans only to find out that the trees that they were allowing us to pick from that day had been picked clean.  There was a peach festival on the coming weekend so all those peaches in the previous pictures were for the festival.  I was a tad ticked off.  It was hot as heck and we wanted to pick peaches.  So, we ended up buying peaches that they'd picked and lord, talk about the most delicious, juicy peaches.  But it was really disappointing not to be able to pick - especially for Ben.

From there we went on to a few other farms and picked green beans and tomatoes.  Then we stopped at another farm and had ice cream.  After that we were just so hot and sick of the heat, we decided to run some errands.  And at the end of the day we ended up at  Barnes and Noble where Ben found a couple of books and we met his parents and all went out for a delicious dinner at the Mustard Seed Restaurant.

I have to admit the heat wasn't the only thing that got to me that day, I was nervous as heck because the next morning was my cancer check.  I was so uptight wanting to be tumor free I don't think I was a very fun Grandma to be around, although I tried.  And as we all know - I was tumor free and right now I'm recovering from my first chemo treatment.  Not feeling the best, but that's just the nature of the  beast.

So have you been out fruit picking this summer and if so what did you pick??

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a shame about the peaches, and just when you had been looking forward to picking them so much! You certainly had a better mammogram experience than I did, so that's good.

Lady of the Cloth said...

I just finished making jam and pies with the peaches I got. I actually bought a case at 83 cents per pound because the u-pick peaches were $1.25 per pound. Go figure! They were so sweet and tasty and I didn't even have to go out in the heat to pick them. I am so glad your tests turned out negative. Hang in there and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.