Saturday, October 5, 2013

Mennonite Country Auction

Today we got up extra early and went to breakfast.  Instead of heading to Farmers Market like usual, we headed up north to the Mennonite Relief Sale and Auction.  It's situated between the towns of Moses Lake and Ritzville.  This is the 36th annual sale and something I've wanted to go to for several years, but have been.  Our friend Ken joined us.  The thing I most wanted to see was the quilts.  They have quite a few quilts and they are auctioned off.  Last year a couple of the quilts sold for $5000.00, so I knew I was only going to look (much to CR's relief).  We got up there and had a fun time looking around, it's not a huge event but the turn out is quite big!!  It's held at the Mennonite Church way out in the country and parking is in the fields.  They did have pie for sale, slices of homemade pie.  There must have been about 25 kinds of pie.  CR had Shoofly Pie, Ken had Apple/Rhubarb and I had Amish Vanilla.  Oh mercy it was worth every calorie.  I liked it so much I came home and found a recipe for it.  I'll share that later, first pictures of the quilts and other auction items.

 
According to their face book page, this sold at the auction for $1100.00









This gorgeous Whole Cloth quilt sold at the auction for $2300.00





This Bible Blocks quilt sold for 900.00





 
The amazing thing about most of these quilts is that they are all hand quilted.  The work is simply gorgeous and I wonder if anyone can see after they are done - I'd go blind.

Here are pictures of the general area where they sold baked goods, fabric, linens, books and toys for kids, household items, baskets, food concessions, they also sold homemade cheese and sausages (which we didn't get in on, they sold out quickly).

That is the church in the background

Vendors and that huge line of people at the back of the picture - all waiting to buy cheese and sausages.


If you'd like to see full pictures of the gorgeous quilts and probably what they sold for (which they should post in a few days, you can go HERE.

One of the vendor booths had these adorable little prayer dolls, they sold for $3.00 each and are made by a 90 year old woman who was affected by the tsunami a few years ago.  She makes these to craft and earn extra money.  So I bought 3 of them, rumor has it that 2 are for my Aunties and this one is mine:


I mentioned the Amish Vanilla Pie earlier.  I found a recipe for it at www.amishrecipes.net
so if you are interested, check it out.  I plan on making one so when I do I'll share the pictures and tell you how it turned out.

Once home we were off to the grocery store, then it was home to get some laundry done, and general stuff around the house.  Tomorrow I'm making more tomato sauce to put in the freezer - our friend Ken gave me some more tomatoes and there was not way I was turning them down.

So what have you been up to?

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh wow, what beautiful quilts.....and pies too! No wonder you had such a good day.

Judy said...

Wow, what wonderful hand quilted quilts! That whole cloth quilt is so lovely and worth every penny it went for. Can you imagine selling that after putting that much time into it? The pie and cheese sound delicious. It sounds like a great time for everyone.

Candace said...

OMG - had we known about this, we would have been there early for the sausages, Tammy! Next year we'll go for sure! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!
Cheers!