Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Rocky Start to the New Year

Last Saturday I started feeling kind of weird, but I thought it was just my IBS.  By Sunday I realized that I might have a bug.  Thank goodness I have had the flu shot.  By Monday I had a fever, ugh!!  Tuesday was an improvement although I felt so tired, today is much better.  On Tuesday I went to see my Orthopedic doc as a follow up to the brace he gave me for my right thumb arthritis.  When I went in a few weeks ago, I was thinking it was time for a cortisone shot (a very painful area to get a shot let me tell you - but I'm not ready for a thumb joint replacement) so I wasn't looking forward to it.  But he suggested this new brace and it has been wonderful.  I can even do hand sewing with it, because it stabilizes that thumb joint so I am not in pain.  While I was telling him how great my thumb was, I had to tell him my knee wasn't so well.  As we were packing the 5th wheel for our Thanksgiving trip, I hurt my knee.  I thought I'd twisted it, so I did everything I could think of to help it out and I did get the swelling to finally go down, but it hurt to walk.  Well its been 2 months since the injury and its not getting better, so it was time to talk.  He took and x-ray and it would seem I have yet another arthritic spot where the cushion of my youth has worn out.  It's not bone on bone yet, but there's not a lot of space left.  There are options though.  Cortisone shots, Chicken Fat (synthetic) shots that mimic the cushion a person looses and of course a knee replacement.  Well I opted for the cortisone shot first.  Yikes, it hurt.  He said it would be like getting a cortisone shot in my shoulder.  Well I've had so many of those, that they don't even phase me, but my sore knee, well it was a big OUCH.  I'm praying the shot lasts, but if not I hear the chicken fat shots are very successful and I will definitely go for that next.  Also, why is it every time they discover these arthritic spots they have to point out several bone spurs.  Heck at this point I think I should change my name to Spur.  It seems to be a constant theme for me.

Okay so it's not all bad news.  I enjoyed the blanket stitching process so much that I decided to try a bit of embroidery.  My good friend Candace at Squash House Quilts gave me some awesome advice and things to look into for guidance as well as some guidance of her own which has been very helpful.  So behold - an embroidered towel:


The pattern comes from Cedarberry Stitches and I purchased it several years ago at The Buggy Barn a fabulous quilt shop out in the middle of nowhere in WA state.

Luckily you can't tell how bad my embroidery is from the picture.  I hope to perfect it as I'd like to do a quilt with hand embroidery in it, perhaps a red work quilt, they always are so beautiful to me!!

CR sees the back doctor this coming Monday and I'm hoping they can get right on top of getting him some relief.  I'll let you know what we find out.  I can't stand seeing him hurt so much.

Onto my next project - another tea towel and I'm also going to finally bake some biscotti for my Aunties this weekend.  They've had to wait to long.  If I keep them waiting to much longer they might fly out here and hurt me.  I wouldn't mind the visit, but I don't need them to hurt me, haha.

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

4 comments:

Lady of the Cloth said...

Sorry about the painful joints. I agree with you on the cortisone shots. I had one in my toe. Joint before they decided to operate and I actually sat in the car and cried after I had it.
I love the cate embroidery, it sounds just like our cat, Heidi.
Take care, Carline

Jennifer said...

What a fun embroidery design! You haven't had a good start to the new year, have you? Hopefully all the bad luck is behind you now and things will look up.

Jackie said...

Your embroidery looks good to me! I think you're being too hard on yourself. Hope you and CR are both feeling much better soon!

Candace said...

Oh Tammy - it turned out just adorable!! It even looks like your little doggie. Your stitches are perfect, too! I hope you both feel better soon!
Cheers!