Yesterday we went up to Spokane for Cliff's Oncologist appointment. We were to get the results of his scans (which we already knew were clean - no cancer spread) and to get her recommendations on how to proceed. Seems simple enough, right.
As you recall the issue at hand is that his PSA doubles every 3 months, which is bad news with Prostate cancer and of major concern to his Urologist and us as well. So upon the Urologists recommendation, we sought consult with a medical oncologist to become an established patient and get treatment when the time came.
I guess what we didn't realize is it's a wait and see game at this point. There is active cancer there, but it hasn't shown up anywhere at this point, and until it does, there is nothing that can be done. It's there, we know it, the Oncologist and Urologist know it, but it can't be treated until it shows itself and is definable. Therefore, there is no treatment option until it spreads.
Are you as shocked as we are? Crazy isn't it. Upsetting, scary, depressing --- our emotions are running the gamete at this point.
So now we wait, wait for something no cancer patient wants to wait for or hear - the cancer has spread and we see it and now we can do something. Cliff will repeat the bone scan in August, he will continue with the Lupron shots and we will pray -- a LOT.
If you pray, we ask you to remember us in those prayers, or send Cliff good healing vibes - whatever is most comfortable for you and your beliefs. We need all we can get.