Friday, May 16, 2014

Another Big Task Completed

You know that back bedroom I was telling you about - the one that we were basically emptying and will use to store all out kitchen stuff and later in the year we'll insulate and put up new sheet rock.  Well the job is DONE!!  Man it was a job too.  The charity that we take things to was thrilled and we were happy to move things on to others who could find a use for them.

During the process, a couple of days ago, when we were closing in on finishing all of this we couldn't find Rascal.  I was in a panic.  I thought perhaps when we loaded the truck with stuff to take to charity he got out, so I called and called and called, inside and outside - no trace of him.  CR decided to go to the charity and see if there might be a small cat in one of the boxes, but before he arrived there I called to tell him to turn around I found the little dickens.  We had some shelves in that room, the kind with brackets attached to the wall (they are gone now) and there was a couple of boxes on the lower shelf.  Well Rascal thought it would be a great place to tuck himself into and take a nap.  Thankfully I went back in that room to check (trash the closet) in case he was in there and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the tip of a little foot twitch.  There he was, heavy eyes, trying to wake up, looking at me like "what is wrong with you lady".  I cried I was so happy he was there and safe.  I am definitely smitten with this kitten!!

One of the things in the back room is an antique buffet that I purchased when I was 21 and refinished.  It was with me in my very first apartment, my second apartment and then when I moved in with my husband.  Thing is we also have CR's Moms buffet which I really love and so I felt we should keep her buffet and sell my oak one.  Today I listed in on Craig's List and we'll see how it goes.


I paid $100.00 for it in 1981, yep, I've had it 32 years and I listed it for 300.00.

I also wanted to post one more picture of my beautiful peonies this year.  Today we've had big winds and well, bye bye blooms when the wind blows.  It was gorgeous this year and I dearly love peonies.


I also baked my Grandma's Chocolate Top Oatmeal cookies today.  I love these cookies.  The original recipe calls for 7 Hershey bars melted with some margarine.  Well they've changed the melting point of Hershey bars and they don't melt and spread like they used to - they mostly become a grainy blob.  But I solved that by taking the bars out of the oven, turning the oven off, sprinkling about 2/3's of a room temp. package of milk chocolate chips on the bars, slide them in the oven for a minute or so, then took them out and the chocolate spread beautifully.


Want the recipe??

Here it is, let me know if you make them and if you like them as much as me.  They're only about 1/2 an inch thick.

Chocolate Topped Oatmeal Cookies:
1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs - yolks only
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup quick oats

Cream the butter, add the sugars.  Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.  Add flour and rolled oats.  Spread into a greased and floured (pam for baking) 13x9 pan.  Cook at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.  Do the chocolate as I described above.  You can also add chopped nuts to the top as an option.  ENJOY!!

Thirteen days till surgery.  Getting lots done and feeling good about making sure it's all under control before the 29th.  It's hot here, yesterday was in the low 90's - darn near killed me it was so hot so suddenly.  Today is in the 80's - a tad better, thankfully I have this little travel fan that I carry around with me when I don't have a big fan in the room.  I'm a big fan girl - I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have fans in almost every room.  I got this little hand held fan through Amazon for 10 dollars and it has 3 speeds, it is the bomb diggity:


Well I had better end this before I put you all asleep.

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a cute little fan! That's a very interesting buffet, how old is it? It says "1930s-40s" to me. Just as well Rascal didn't get carted off to the donation shop!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Well... You don't call him Rascal for nothing, Tammy. I yiyi. Your sleepy guy had to and CR running. Glad you found him at home safe and sound.

LOVE the cabinet. After your long history it'll be hard to part with but I hope it finds a good person just starting out in life like when you first purchased it.

Those Oatmeal cookies are looking VERY good! I'll save this recipe for the next time we have a crowd coming. They'll love 'em.

Have a great Sunday!
xo jj