Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mothers Day!

To all my blogging friends, I'd like to wish you all a Happy Mothers Day. 

We went to Farmers Market yesterday and a young lady came up to me and gave me a Carnation and said Happy Mothers Day.  I said, but I'm not a mother, she said well do you have 4 legged kids, yes I said, well then you are a Mom.  I thought that was so sweet.  Mothers day is always an awkward holiday for me.  Yes I'm a step-mother to my husbands daughter, but I have only ever been just a friend to her, and yes I have wonderful animals that I love so dearly, but I'm not truly a Mom.  Anyhow it was very sweet of the young lady to give me a beautiful flower.

I love our area, we have a lot of farming in the region and we get some awesome fruits and veggies.  I love buying local and supporting our farmers.  Right now there isn't much as the growing season has just begun.  Fresh asparagus is in abundance and we love it.  We only buy and eat fresh local asparagus (asparagus snobs I guess), so this time of year we eat tons of it.  One of CR's favorite dishes is an asparagus quiche I make, so last night I made one for dinner:


It is so good, full of asparagus, Canadian bacon and swiss cheese. 

I didn't see any rhubarb at the market, but our rhubarb bush is huge, so CR cut some for me and I made him a delicious rhubarb pie yesterday.


And I finally got the new table cloth I made on the table.  I was looking for some purple candles to put in my table candle holders.  Finally found some at Hobby Lobby.  I didn't realize how hard it was to find taper candles these days.



I'm on the count down for my knee replacement -- 18 days, and lots to do.  Today I'm doing some cleaning in our bedroom, sorting, tossing, etc.  Tomorrow I plan to plant the flower pots on our deck, and sometime this week I think I need to see our chiropractor for an adjustment.  My back and hip are killing me from walking funny.  I try to walk normal but the knee pain is so severe at times I can only hobble.  Luckily at my pre-op appointment last week they gave me the paperwork to get a 3 month handicap tag, it's helped a bit being able to park closer and not have to walk so far.  I typically like to park away from the crowds and walk to get extra exercise, but right now that just doesn't work.

We placed the order for the cabinets this past Friday and CR wrote a BIG check for them.  I asked him how he was able to fit all that on one line of the check, he said it barely fit, haha.  There is nothing cheap about a kitchen remodel, well any remodel for that matter.  That said it's long over due and will be so nice when it's done.  Our cabinets are all plywood (no press board) so they should out live us, they're made in the good old USA - Arizona to be precise and should be 4 to 6 weeks till they are delivered.  Once the bottom cabinets are placed the guys who make the counter tops arrive, do final in place measurements and then pour the corian counter tops and the sink for placement.  It's a process and a lot of work and planning goes into it all. 

As soon as it all begins I will most certainly start taking pictures and blogging about all the changes and construction.  We are also getting new siding put on the house.  Our current siding is old, doesn't take the paint well and has a multitude of issues.  So we are having Hardy board (a cement siding product) put over the top of the present siding.  It's better to install over what we have than to remove what is there and then they put 2 coats of paint on the new Hardy board.  I'll be sure to take pictures of that as well.  Our old house is definitely getting a face lift and she's going to look so good when it's all done.

So how are you spending your Mothers Day? 

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

4 comments:

Candace said...

Quiche recipe, please, please :>) We're asparagus snobs, too, Tammy! How are you doing all this wonderful cooking with your bad knee? Hope you get all your projects started on time. Rascal is sue a cutie - Gracie May is smitten ;>)
Cheers!

Jennifer said...

The quiche sounds so good. When you are recuperating from your knee you will have the gorgeous new kitchen to look forward to!

Jackie said...

Happy Mothers Day! You're a good mom to your crew!

You're as busy as always! Lots going on at your house. Hardiboard is used quite a bit here - termites don't like it. It looks good! Looking forward to seeing your new kitchen too.

Carline said...

I think all women should be honored. they are Nurturing in all walks of life. I am glad you got a nice flower that was very nice. We got silk bags filled with nice chocolate in church and I was able to eat it before hubby got it. LOL

I am anxious to see your kitchen progress. YAY!