Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Last of the Outside Work

When they were doing the siding on the house, it was discovered that the grass had grown past the foundation and was on the siding.  Well that made it fun for the guys putting the siding on and the painters.  But they got it done.  So CR knew we needed to do something to stop that from happening in the future.  He called our wonderful lawn guy Carlos and discussions, measurements, staring at the problem took place.  Typical man stuff.  Carlos had a great idea and yesterday he and his two sons went to work.  They dug out the sod (and a lot of left over tree roots from a couple of trees that were taken down), they put a fabric barrier down to inhibit growth of grass and weeds, they put a curbing type of material against the grass and then filled in with river rock.  We couldn't be happier and we think it looks really nice.  And a great option for a big problem too!!





The best part was that CR didn't have to do the work himself, it would have taken him a lot longer than the 4 hours it took Carlos and his sons and truly he's not as young as he used to be and jobs like this are a lot easier for two young men to do.

I wanted to show you a picture of our Rhody - it's just lovely this year and they were so careful of it when the siding went on and the paint, etc. 


I woke up with my back hurting yesterday, it took my breath away with every move I made.  Today it's a bit better, but it's still bothering me.  I know it's from walking funny because of my knee.  CR helped me finish the utility cabinets in the kitchen and we are ready for the new cabinets, whoohoo.  But first, a new knee this Thursday.  I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't nervous about it.  I have my list completed of all the things I wanted to accomplish before the surgery.  The only thing left to do is clean the kitchen, bathrooms, vacuum, and mop.  Those are just my normal weekly chores, so I'll probably do them tomorrow.  Today I'm taking it easy and baking a rhubarb pie for my honey and play a bit in my sewing room.  I baked cookies and got them in the freezer last week and I promised CR one last pie before surgery.

Hope you all are enjoying your Memorial Day weekend.  Lots of people on the road traveling, camping, etc this weekend.  We tend to stay at home on major holiday weekends and avoid the traffic and craziness.  So how about you, what are you up to this weekend??

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

3 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

You're doing a good job working through all your pre-op plans. It will be good to have all these things done and perhaps it helps to keep your mind off the surgery. You'll be bringing your new knee home to a pretty, newly painted and landscaped, clean house. Enjoy this lovely weekend.

Jennifer said...

That's a good idea, and it will stop grass growing up to the house in future! What a gorgeous bush. You can take it easy today, you know.....because I said so! Don't wear yourself before your surgery!

Judy said...

That's a great idea to create an area around your house with rocks and it looks good too. I'm sorry about your back hurting-a sore knee can throw everything out of whack as you walk differently. I'll be praying for you that your surgery goes well and that you have a quick recovery.
Take care.