Thursday, June 5, 2014

Taking Warfarin

When you have a joint replacement procedure it is standard to put you on a blood thinner for 4 to 6 weeks.  I dutifully  came home with my prescription and have been very good about remembering to take it, I might add.  Well lets back up a minute.  Yesterday was a very painful day with my knee and the drugs only seemed to help a bit.  I just ached to the roots of my teeth.  On top of that, my tongue and throat were so sore that it was painful to eat or drink and everything tasted of metal.  As if that's not enough, I haven't "gone" for 7 very long and uncomfortable days.  Granted I hadn't been able to eat much, but still, 7 day's people, it's not right!!

Okay so back to PT, we went to PT and it hurt, then we went to get my blood work done as they have to keep a close monitor on how thin my blood is.  That afternoon the nurse calls and tells me how I need to take that med for the next 7 days.  I'm sitting there thinking about this conversation (while many hours pass before I realize it) and think, oh no, I've been taking one in the morning and one at night.  I've been overdosing myself.  Listen if you need to stop following my blog now I'll totally understand, because this is about as brainy as it gets around here, though I'm loath to admit it.

I went to bed in a miserable state yesterday and woke up to a good day.  My pain level is tolerable, the metal taste and the pain in my mouth has eased up and I have been cruising down the highway of relief all day too.

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

7 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm glad you figured out what was going on!

Jennifer said...

Just as well it has been sorted, or you would have become even more uncomfortable.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I had the metal taste too and was told it is from the anesthesia. Drinking water helps get rid of it. I sure hated it though because it made what little food I could tolerate taste odd. Each day will be better.

Sweet Tea said...

So glad today has been a good day. Maybe this means the worst is behind you now. Sure hope so, Tam.

Prairie Stitcher said...

Oh bless your heart! Such a simple answer to the problem. I'm so glad it wasn't something more serious....and I so identify with you on it. So easy to do. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Oh Tammy, I'm sorry you were struggling after surgery. So glad you figured out the Rx error-- it's soooo easy to mix things up, especially when you're not feeling great.
Hope you continue to improve each day.
Hang in there. xo jj

Judy said...

Wow, it sounds like a lot to deal with, and I'm glad that you figured out what was going on with your meds. I know for me, I have to write everything down, or I just don't remember when I take things. I hope that your pain level goes down soon.