Monday, June 29, 2015

Hot Enough to Fry an Egg Outside

Good grief my part of the world is hot right now.  It was 110 on Sunday, by the time I went to bed at 10 pm it was 93 and I woke up at 6:30am this morning and it was 80 degrees out.  On top of the hot temps we've had some gusty winds and thunder storms.  Sadly there is a pretty good sized fire NW of us in Wenatchee, WA and several small fires around the area.  With our drought situation we are only allowed to water our lawns twice a week and with the 4th of July coming and idiots shooting off illegal fireworks I suspect our firemen are going to be extremely busy and exhausted.

Friday we went to Spokane for CR's scans and this Wednesday we should get the results.  In the meantime we got a call from the repair shop and it appears our car is finally in the assembly stage and we are hoping to have it back later this week.  Wow, that made our day.

I've healed up and am ready to put it all behind me.  I did see the orthopedic for foot and ankles this past week.  Three years ago I injured my left ankle and so I wore a boot for a couple of months that summer.  Boy did I hate that stupid boot, but I wore it and my ankle seemed fine, until lately.  About the last 9 months my ankle has gotten increasingly painful when I am at rest.  It's pretty much constant, so I decided to see him again thinking it might need a cortisone shot or perhaps a few weeks in that darn boot.  Well, after an x-ray and an MRI and a painful exam we discovered that my ligaments are not holding my ankle in place - darn thing is wiggly and floppy and has a tear and 3 ganglion cysts and a darn bone spur to add insult to injury.  I have 2 choices, wear a brace the rest of my life or have surgery to repair the issues.  Waiting to long could result in major tendon issues on top of it all.  So, since it's hot as hell out and we have no plans for the summer, I'm having ankle surgery.  I'll have a cast for about 6 weeks and won't be allowed to put my weight on it, then a walking boot and some PT.  I figured better to do it now than the winter - who wants to navigate slick surfaces with crutches.  I swear I just know how to mess myself up and have some fun.

On to some fun news.  I recently made 2 baby quilts.  One I'm going to quilt on my friend Kelly's long arm as it will be backed in minky fabric and I'm afraid of it slipping and having issues trying to quilt it on my sewing machine.  The other baby quilt I backed in flannel and finished sewing the binding on this morning:



I also made a few burp cloths that I found a free pattern for on the Internet.  


And 3 years ago I (wearing that darn boot), painted my sewing room and covered my ironing board with this fabric:


But after 3 years of spray starch and thread and a leaky iron, it was time to recover it.  So this afternoon I covered it with this fabric:


It's actually a darker yellow than it appears - almost an orange yellow.

Well that's what I've been up to lately, what have you been doing?

Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You can keep that hot weather.......I don't miss it, now that winter is here! What a sweet baby quilt, and burp cloths are always needed with a bub. I remember when you wore the boot, I don't blame you for not wanting to spend the rest of your life in it. Sending hugs and good thoughts for CR.

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady of the Cloth said...

Sorry to hear of your upcoming surgery. I am two weeks from spinal surgery, so I can commiserate. I feel so much better already though. No numb arms and headaches. I had bone spurs, stenosis and needed a fusion in 4 discs. It seems as wee get older (dare I say that), that things just fall apart.. I think when someone said Golden years, they mistook it. It really is rust! You will be in my prayers.
Carline