Friday, September 4, 2015

Goodbye Cast

Yesterday was cast removal day.  Boy was I excited, it's been the longest 6 weeks of my life.

This is my happy face on the way to the appointment:


Then there was the freeing of my leg, which led to scratching and a whole lot of flaky skin, ugh!

I couldn't believe hot my foot was still orange from the iodine that they use before surgery.

First order of business was to put my lovely new boot on:


Then make an appointment for 4 weeks.  Right now I have stretching exercises to do and I can remove the boot to shower and sleep and exercises, but for any walking, the boot must be on.  In 4 weeks, no more boot and then some PT.

Next order of business was to return that scooter that I like to call the death trap scooter, because I ran over my toe with it and hit my good ankle on it so many times I thought I was going to kill myself.

Then home we came so I could shave 6 weeks of hair on that leg - I swear it was so long I could have braided it.

Then we went to Costco, okay that part was a bit ambitious and I was sore when we got home and had to ice it the rest of the night.  Today it looks great and I slept like a baby.

The only real issue is the calf, it needs some serious stretching because it was in that cast for so long and it's on the verge of a charlie horse at any given moment of the day or night.

It feels so good to have that cast off.  I can't describe it, but I was starting to feel so closed in by it all and now I can get out on my own and do things on my own and do them much easier too.

Life is GOOD.
Happy Stitches and Hugs,
Tam

4 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

I just went through and read your back posts, as I'd fallen behind. I'm reading you on the day you're showing your happy face and I can understand why. So happy for you! Cancer Free! Cast free! Love all this wonderful news!!

Jennifer said...

I can see how happy you are! I don't know, though, what you mean by a "charley horse"? Is it like a cramp? I use tonic water to help with the occasional cramp, the quinine in it seems to help.

Jackie said...

I hope your calf is feeling better by now! I can only imagine how happy you were to get the cast off. You're not used to being tethered down.

Only you would go to Costco right after!

Jackie said...

I hope your calf is feeling better by now! I can only imagine how happy you were to get the cast off. You're not used to being tethered down.

Only you would go to Costco right after!